Skip Navigation HomeAbout BONDFrequently Asked QuestionsReal-life Situationsen español

4.2 How are work-related expenses treated in calculating the benefit offset?

Both current law and BOND rules allow for impairment-related work expenses (IWREs), which are expenses you pay for disability-related items or services that are needed in order to work. Under current law, IRWEs are deducted from monthly earnings before earnings are compared to the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) level. Under BOND, your countable earnings (earnings minus IRWEs) will be considered on an annual basis; if countable earnings in a calendar year exceed the BOND yearly amount, the benefit offset will be applied. The BOND yearly amount will be prorated if you start using the offset for less than 12 months during a calendar year.